So, as usual, I spent yesterday afternoon brainstorming how I could recreate the same yummy Gyro-ness at home, for a fraction of the restaurant price and with a fraction of the calories. Along with Sonya's help, we cleverly tweaked our homemade gyros so that they were Weight Watchers friendly, yet still entirely delicious. The following recipe is what we came up with. And take my word when I say, ours are even better than the restaurants.
(yeah, that's my own horn).
6 Weight Watchers ProPoints Each
Veggie Filling Ingredients
(These are basically just your favorite vegetables thinly sliced. Below is a list of what we used, however feel free to change it up according to your taste buds)
Also, for you meat eaters out there, feel free to add garlic marinated chicken or steak to this. It would be yummy in the tummy. Just keep in mind that the above Weight Watchers Point Count for this recipe is based on a veggie only gyro.
Garlic Greek Yogurt Dipping Sauce3/4 cup Cabot Greek-Style Yogurt
1 Packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing seasoning
1 Tbl skim or buttermilk
2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
8 chives, finely chopped
1 Tbl fresh dill, finely chopped
Sea salt and pepper to taste
The above Betty Crocker Pizza Dough recipe is the ONLY pizza dough recipe I use (unless I'm making calzones). It is my mothers, and a true tried and tested winner. This is what you'll be using to create your own Gyro dough, although we'll be adding a few extra ingredients for additional flavor.
2 tsp dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbl olive oil
4 cloves of grated garlic
8 chives finely chopped
2 1/2 cups flour
As stated above, disolve water and yeast in a bowl until bubbly. Add to the remaining ingredients, and mix in a large bowl until a dough is formed. Although the recipe only asks you rest the dough for 5 minutes, in the Cousino household we always allow the dough 20-30 minutes to rise.
- While your dough is resting, preheat grill to Medium heat (you will be cooking your pita's this way).
- Thinly slice all vegetables and set aside. (If adding grilled meat, now is when you'd start grillin' it up Bobby Flay style, baby!)
- Prepare Greek Yogurt Sauce by mixing all of the ingredients together and allowing to set in fridge.
- Portion your pizza dough into 5oz balls. On lightly floured surface, roll out into thin round discs. Brush with garlic oil, salt and pepper. Grill on each side until golden brown grill marks appear (approximately 2-4 mins each side). Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Assemble gyro by spreading 1 TBL of the Cabot Greek Yogurt sauce across homemade grilled pita bread. Add sliced vegetables and grilled meat. Salt and pepper. Fold as you would a taco.
- Stuff your face and most importantly, ENJOY!